This news flash may have escaped your attention. It was posted on 29 Jan 2018 to DP Coordinators.
From the May 2018 examination session onwards, Section B of ITGS HL Paper 1 will consist of three questions from which candidates must answer one.
This will mean that on page 44 of the ITGS Course Guide the text for Section B should read as follows:
Students answer one of three structured questions based on the HL extension topics.
What does this mean?
- From M18 onwards 3 questions will be made available on HL Paper 1 Section B instead of 4 questions as in past examinations.
- Less reading time will be required. Candidates will have more time to consider which one question they will develop in Section B.
- All three questions will integrate topics 3.10 IT Systems in Organizations and 3.11 Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems. Students MUST study both topics.
- There are only 2 past examination sessions that demonstrate the integration of 3.10 and 3.11. They are M17 HL Paper 1 and N17 HL Paper 1. M17 Papers and Markschemes are available now. The N17 Papers and Markschemes are available from the IB Follett Store after 15 March when the N17 session closes.
- Questions from previous examination sessions prior to May 2017 may be helpful in preparing for HL Paper 1 Section B, but do not integrate sections 3.10 and 3.11.
SL Paper 1 consist of 4 questions and candidates will choose 2 questions.
HL Paper 1 Section A consists of 3 questions and candidates will choose 2 questions.